Study in Canada

Study in Canada as an international student

Educational institutions in Canada are known all over the world as top-class colleges and universities. Canada traditionally competes for international students with the United States and the United Kingdom.

Study Permit

In order to become an international student and study in Canada, one needs to complete several tasks. Firstly, you need to apply and get accepted to one of the academic programs in Canadian college or university. After getting enrolled, you need to apply for a Study Permit. Study Permit is a legal authorization by a Canadian government that enables foreign nationals to study full-time in Canada.

Why come to Canada as an international student?

The quality of study in Canada is as good as in the USA or UK. However, Canada has several advantages that make education in Canada a better opportunity for students around the globe.


The tuition fee in Canada is expensive for international students. If you consider applying for some top-level universities such as the University of Toronto, University of British Columbia, or McGill University, it can even be extra expensive. On the other hand, the tuition fee in most academic programs will still be cheaper compared to universities and colleges in the USA and UK.

Scholarships and bursaries

Another advantage is that Canadian educational institutions allow foreign students to apply for different funding packages, get scholarships and bursaries. This is especially relevant for graduate students pursuing masters and Ph.D. degrees. Funding packages for graduate students could be very generous and can help students to cover a half or even a full cost of the tuition fees.

Work while study

In many cases, international students can work on-campus. Universities and colleges like to employ their students. On such occasions, international students can work for universities they attend. In addition, study permit holders can be granted an opportunity to work off-campus for any employer for up to twenty hours a week. Beware to not overwork as this may cause in termination of your study visa!

Bring your family

All international students who have a spouse or common-law partner can bring them to Canada for a period of their study. Moreover, you can apply for an open work permit for your partner, which means they will be available to work for any employer while you attend your school.

Stay after graduation

Once you complete your academic program and graduate from your school, you will be eligible to stay in Canada after graduation as a foreign worker. Canada established a Post-Graduate Work Permit (PGWP) program for international graduates. You can apply for an open work permit for yourself and a new open work permit for your partner for a period of the length of your study. In most cases, all students whose programs were two years in length can get a PGWP for up to three years.

Immigrate to Canada

After you become a foreign worker in Canada you can immigrate to Canada under various federal or provincial programs. Your Canadian study and work experience gained in Canada will be awarded by additional points in the Express Entry system.

Are you looking to study in Canada? Intercontinental Global Immigration Solutions Corporation the right place to get all your documents as an international student. We’ll help you to pick the program and apply for a study permit.