Visit Canada

Visit Canada as a traveller

Foreign nationals must obtain a visa to come to Canada. A visitor visa is also known as a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV), is a document that Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada approves and Canadian Border Service Agency sticks in your passport. TRV shows that you meet the entrance requirements to enter Canada.

Visa to Canada is required to most world countries’ citizens if they wish to travel to Canada or if they are transiting Canada on their way to another country.

How long is TRV valid?

The TRV is valid for a period that is stated on your passport stamp. Usually, it can be issued for a period of no longer than six months. However, depending on the purpose of your visit, CBSA officer may grant you entry for a longer period than six months. For example, if you are an international student, you can get a TRV for the period of your study program as well as if you are a foreign worker, your TRV will be valid for the length of your contract.

If the CBSA officer did not stamp in your passport the date of validity of your TRV, you can stay in Canada for six months or until the expiry date of your passport, depending on what comes first.

Dual Canadian citizens

If you are a dual citizen of Canada and another country, you cannot transit through Canada by air without having a Canadian passport. If you must use your other passport to cross the border, you still must have a valid Canadian passport.

Do I need a TRV?

Some countries signed a visa-free movement agreement with Canada. Citizens of such countries are exempted from obtaining a TRV. In such cases, if you travel to Canada by air, you should obtain an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA). Travellers from visa-exempt countries must get an eTA to enter Canada.

How long is the eTA valid?

This document is linked to your national passport. The eTA is valid for a period of up to five years or until the expiration of your passport, depending on what comes first. If you renew your passport, you must apply for a new eTA.

Would you like to visit Canada but not sure if you need a visa? Intercontinental Global Immigration Solutions Corporation will help you to figure out what entrance document you need to visit Canada. We will help you to obtain a Temporary Resident Visa or an Electronic Travel Authorizations. Contact us for more information!